Thursday, November 15, 2012

Portable Wargaming the Storming of Brentford

Tonight I gave my draft of Portable Wargame:English Civil War another test run, The scenario was the Storming of Brentford. Prince Rupert(Commander) , for the Royalists, had six units of Cavalry(elite), and a regiment of infantry (one pike unit and two musket units), as well as one Unit of falconets.

The defending forces of Parliament, led by John Lilburne(commander) had two regiments of infantry(average), structured like Rupert's, and a Unit of falconets. They were supported by another regiment of infantry that would begin moving at the sound of the first cannon shot.



Royalist cavalry attempted , without success to take the enemy falconet by storm. Other Royalist troops began to assault the troops holding the left flank of the village.


The stubborn gunners hold.


Finally, the gun position falls. Combat continues up and down the line.


Rupert and his troop break the line and flank Lilburne and his pikes.


Lilburne falls under the hooves of Rupert's troopers.

The royalists have won a costly victory.


Game notes:The game played in less than thirty minutes. Commanders kept their troops in the fight. I noticed that I did not place commanders in the Strength Point Chart. That will be corrected tomorrow.

Cavalry degraded too quickly.  My inclination is to give both regular cavalry and lobsters an addition point in close combat, AND add a strength point to each Unit (3, rather than 2). I will replay this scenario under these conditions and see what results.

All figures are Jack Scruby 9mm's., still available from Historifigs. The paper building are from the Fiddler's Green English Village collection.

Next Thursday: Some Thoughts on Cavalry....

6 comments:

  1. An interesting report and agreat looking game.I do see your point re cavalry and agree with you.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, my replay with the new ratings for cavalry worked much better. I'm going to have a go at a few other small actions, and see how things work out. If you try any games, please let me know what you think.
      -Steve

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the battle report and the rules. I've added an ECW portable wargame page:
    http://cottonreeltank.org/cafelunar/gamecabinet/gridgame/ecw8by12/index.htm
    This set up should look familiar!
    http://cottonreeltank.org/cafelunar/gamecabinet/gridgame/ecw8by12/ecw8by121.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete,
      I am so impressed with he look of your electronic game table. It is a great aid to be able to test out a situation or rule at the computer, especially when my two game tables are covered in other periods and other rules(World War 2 land, and World War 1 naval, at the moment. You are doing good work, sir!
      -Steve

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog and have now read all of your posts.

    I am looking forward to an account of a 28mm battle using Protz's rules (of which I have a copy but have never played).


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Jeff,
      I am trying to finish a few big scenery-making projects, at the conclusion of which I should be able to clear enough room to give Bill's rules a good work-out again.
      _Steve

      Delete